About 5 km's south of Pindwara on the way to Abu Road, is the village of Ajari. 2 Km's away from Ajari village, is temple of Mahadeo and Sarswati. The scenery is picturesque, honey-combed with date-trees and a small rivulet flows nearby. Small hillocks form a wonderful background. The place is a fine picnic spot. The temple is enclosed by s high wall. Inside it is a Kundi of 30' x 20' size. Markandeshwar Rishi is said to have meditated here. There is small image of god Vishnu and one that of goddess Sarswati. Nearby is pond commonly known Gaya-Kund where people immerse the mortal remains. On every Jeshtha Sudi 11 and Baisakh Sudi 15 a fair is held here.
Basant Garh eight km's to the South of Pindwara, is Situated on a river named Saraswati. Its old names, as known from various sources, were Vetaleara, Vatasthana, Vatanagra, Vata, Vatapura and Vasisthapura. This place was called Vata on account of the banian trees, which are found in abundance. In the eleventh century, it was believed that once, under the banian trees there stood a Sacrificial hermitage of Varihtha. Vasistha is said to have erected the temple of Arka and Bharga, and with the aid of the architect of the Gods, founded the city called Vata adorned with ramparts, orchards tanks and lofty mansions. It was therefore called Vasisthapeua.
In course of time, this hermitage of vasistha developed into a prosperous town, as is clear from the ruins of the palatial buildings of the kings and the temple of different religions. Vasanthgarhm, the city of great antiquity must have been in existence long before the first half of the Seventh Century A.D... In 625 A.D. it was held by Rajilla & father Vajrabhata Satyasraya was also a feudatory of the same king. Rajjilla protected Mt. Arbuda and he had his capital at Vasanthgarh.
The king Varmalata is certainly identical with the king of the same name where Prime Minister Suprabhadeva was the grand father of the famous poet Megha of Srimala. Hence Varmalata seems to be the ruler of Srimala. Further, it is known from the Nisithachurni. In 676 A.D. that the siluer Cain Current in Shrimala at that time was well know by the term Varmalata after its ruler.
In course of time Vasanthgarh seems to have fallen into decay and forced its inhabitants for migration to different places from the Samali inscription dated 646 A.D... It is known that Mahajana Community headed by Je(nta)ka who had migrated from Vatanagara, started an agara in Aranyakupagiri, which became a source of liveli hood for the people. From the inscription of Lohini well, dated 1042 A.D., it is known that Bhavagupta, one of the predecessors of Vigraharaja, the deceased husband of Lahini ruled over this territory, and he restored a temple of the sun. Vigraharaja was fourth in succession from Bharagupta. He ruled in 1042 A.D., and therefore, Bhavagupta, his predecessor, must have lived about 100 years earlier than Vigrahara, i.e. 942 A.D. The successor of Bhavagupta was Samgamraja, who ruled Badari in Vamsaratha. This change of capital was perhaps due to some political upheaval, which brought further ruin to this palace perhaps, as a result of it, a person who is originally belonged to this place, came to Ahar in Mewar and built the temple of Nanigasvami in 977 A.D... In 1042 A.D., it was the capital of parmar ruler Purnapala, son of Dhanduka. His younger sister Lahini, after the death of her husband, went to Vasantgarh, the capital of ancestors, to live with her brother. She settled down there, rebuilt the dilapidated temple of the sun and restored a step -well for convenience of the public. This well is still Lanvava (Lahinivapi).
In the medieval period, Vasantgarh was destroyed by muslim invasions and, therefore, it was deserted. In the middle of the 15th century, it was included in the dominations of the Guhila king, kumbhakarna. He rehabilitated the old town by inviting people from different places for settlement, and provided several facilities to them. Under patronage of the early hindu rulers, both Brahmannical and Jain religious flourished highly. The main old temples, as known from the inscriptions, were of kshemarya, Sun, Brahma and the Jain Tirthankars. These temples were not later than 7th century A.D... An inscription of 625 A.D. records that while Rajilla, a feudatory of Varmalata and the ruler of the territory round Mount Abu was reigning at Vasantgarh, a temple of the Goddess Keshemarya was erected by a trader named Satyadeva at the direction of the town assembly. There can be little doubt that the Keshemarya of this inscription is Khimelamata, near whose shrine, the stone was discovered.
At a distance of 45 Km's. from Abu Railway/Bus Station, there stands a village of Varma. Its old name, as known from inscriptions, was Brahmana. It was probably founded not later than7th century A.D., because the Sun temple known as the Brahmana-Svamin of this place built probably in the seventh century A.D... From the study of Old temples tanks, wells and old residential buildings, it appears to have been a prosperous town in past.
The Sun Temple of Varman, known as the Brahman-Svamin, is one of the most famous temples in India. The careful finish of its carving , the proportion of its members and the parsimonious use of decorative detail, all tend to show that it must have been constructed at a time when the temple architecture was a vitally living art. The temple, which faces the east, consists of the Shrine, Sabhamandapa, pradakshina and porch. A standing image of the sun discover must have occupied the main Shrine Besides, there are finely carved but partially mutilated images of the Navagrahas has, and the eight dikpalas. The Sun temple is also called Surya Narayana. The pedestal sculptured in the form of chariot drawn by seven steeds in the niche of the Sanctum is a marvelous piece of realism.
The temple of Brahman-Svamin was constructed to be a place of Pilgrimage by the people, and they visited this place from time to time, and granted charities. An inscription of 1019 A.D. records the gift of two fields to the temple by one Sohapa. Another inscription of 1029 A.D. in this temple mentions the grant of land by native of Madahada. During the region of Paramar king Purnapala, the temple was restored in 1042 A.D. by Nochaka, son of Sarama. In 1258 and 1273 A.D. by Lalitadevi, the wife of the pratihara Raja Vinnada. Varman remained a stronghold of Jainism. Siddhasena-suri a poet of the 12th century, refers to this place in the Sakala Tirtha Stotra.
Brahamanaka gachchha among the Jain's originated from the place of Varman, whose ancient name was Brahmana-mahast hana. The earliest mention of this gachahha is found at this place. The Mahavira Jain temple of this gachcha was built in 1885 A.D. or even before by the Sarvakas of this place. The inscription of 1185 A.D. records that Puvniga and other- Sarvakas constructed Padmasila in the temple of Mahavira of Brahmana-ka-gachcha. There is a timely sculptured image of Kubera. In the Pillared corridor of the Sabhamandap, a sculptured ceiling was built in 1185 A.D. The central of one slab is Gajalakshmi with elephants pouring water. In 1294 A.D., Padmashila, native of Madahada came to this temple of Brahmanka gachcha.
Hematilaksuri got a rangamandap of this temple constructed for the merit of early Bhattarakas of this gachcha in 1389 A.D. Thus, the importance of Varman is clear from the fact that there was a well known Sun Temple, and the Brahmanaka-gachcha among the Jains originated from this place. An old temple associated with this gachcha was there. The influence of the natives of the place is clear from the fact they were in charge of celebrating the festival of the anniversary of the Lumavasahi temple of Abu in 1930 A.D. Besides, there was the temple of Abu in 1930 A.D. Besides, there was the temple of Varmesvara containing an image of Shiva.
Ambeshwar Ji Temple
A place about six miles north of Sirohi on a side track of the National Highway No. 14 from Sirohi to Sheoganj. The kolargarh is situated towards eastern side at a distance of 2 km's. the relics of old fort on Ganesh pole can be seen here where there is a Dharmshala a Jain temple, Laxmi Narayan temple, Shiv temple and Gorakhmath. On the hill after climbing 400 steps an ancient temple Lord Shiv with its natural beauty and marvelous surroundings with waterfalls can be seen. The whole area is part of Siranwa hills and beautiful dense forest with admirable fauna and flour can be enjoys. It is said that the relics of the old city and fort of kolar is of Parmar reign.
This temple is dedicated to Lord Mahavir 24th Tirthankar of Jains. The temple is said to be build by Nandi Vardhan, brother of Lord Mahavir. According to Jain Literature Lord Mahavir in his 37th religious voyage (Chaturmas) came to this area, so the places attached to his name are seen in this district like Viroli (Vir Kulika), Vir Vada (Vir Vatak), Undra (Upnand), Nandiya (Nandi Vardhan) and Sani Village (Shanamani - A modern Polo ground of Abu) . Episode of Karn Kilan i.e. nails were hammered into ears of the Mahavir Swami here at Bamanvada and cooking of Khir was done at Sani village. The biting of Chandkaushik snake occurred at Nandiya, and the scene is depicted by carving on the granite rock
In the series of the main traditional Jain Pilgrimages, the Jiraval has its own importance. This important temple is situated in the middle of the Jairaj Hill on the Aravali Ranges. The Jiraval temple is very primitive and ancient. The temple is surrounded by the Dharmshallas and beautiful buildings. The importance of this temple is unique because all over world installation of Jain temples are made with the name of this temple OM HRIM SHRI JIRAVALA PARSHAVNATHAY NAMAH. The main temple and its kalamandap is surrounded 72 Dev kulikas, its structure and architect is of nagar style of temple architecture. Here all facilities exists for religious tourists.
This place can be reached from Abu down-hills about 4 km's as well as from Sirohi via Anadara, a distance of about 32 km's. south of Sirohi town. This temple is dedicated to Lord Sun, who has millions of rays (Kotidwaj). The temple is said to be built by the Hoons who were the worshippers of SUN. A chain of Sun temples can be marked right from Ranakpur to Modhera of Gujarat. Beautiful idols of Mahishsur Mardani, Sheshai Vishnu, Kuber and Ganapati can be seen here. This place is situated on horse shoe center point of Abu hill. Parenial water source in rainy season damaged this temple and process is still going on. But the site itself is wonderful and exciting with natural beauty. Recently a dam is also built on the foot hills of the site.
Not far form here (about a mile and half), at the foot of mountain, were dilapidated temples of Devangana or court of gods. traditions are current that on this site stood an ancient city called Lakhavati. Two mandaps made of bricks are the only remains of these and those too in a ruinous state. There is an inscriptions on the entrance on one of these. The images which were found here are carried away to a temple on the main road to Anadara Math. Round about these ruins can be noticed bricks of unusual dimensions buried in the ground and pointing to the antiquity of the place. The spot is in the midst of a thick bamboo jungle with tall magnificent trees.
Mirpur temple is considered to be the oldest marble monument of Rajasthan. It served as a modal for Delwara and Ranakpur temples. It is depicted in world encyclopedia art. The temple is of Rajput age of 9th century. Its plate form is like that of Ranakpur. Its carving can be matched with the pillars and parikrama of Delwara and Ranakpur temples. The temple is dedicated to Lord Parshavnath, the 23 Tirthankar of Jains. The temple was destroyed by Mahmood Begda of Gujarat in 13th century and was rebuilt and renovated in 15th century. These days the only main temples with its kalamandap is standing on its high pedestrial with carved pillars and engraved parikrama representing every walk of life in Indian Mythology.
Sharneshwar Ji Temple
Sarneshwar temple is dedicated to Lord Shiv, situated on the western slope of Siranwa hill and is now managed by Sirohi Devasthanam. It is Kuldev of Deora Clan of Chauhans of Sirohi. The temple seems to be built in Parmar Dynasty rule because its structure and layout is similar to other temples constructed by Parmar rulers. A temple may be renovated time to time but the major renovation was carried on in 16th century. In 1526 V. S. Apurva Devi, the queen of Maharao Lakha established Hanuman Idol outside the main gate of the Sarneshwar Ji. The temple was decorated by Maharao Akheyraj in 1685 V. S. In the campus of the temple there are idols of lord Vishnu, A plate consisting of 108 Shiv Lingas.
The temple is surrounded by two courtyards , one is attached to main temple and second is around the whole area, which carries Burj and Chaukis, which represents this temple as fort. Actually this temple is fort temple. Outside the main gate of the temple, there are three decorated huge elephants made of lime & bricks and painted with a colorful look. There was a mandakini Kund in front of the main temple, which was used by the pilgrims for taking holy bath on kartik purnima, chetra purnima and vaisakh purnima. A famous festival of Devuthani Akadesi, in every Bhadrapadh month of V.S. is arranged here by the followers and on second day a huge fair of rabbaries is also celebrated, in which nobody except rabbarries is allowed. The cenotaphs of the royal family is another attraction in the premises of Sarneshwar temple.
Sarvadham Temple is dedicated to all religions of the world. It is located at the Hq. Sirohi and is one km far from the circuit house of Sirohi. The site, temple architecture, layout of the landscape is fine. Trees of religious importance like Rudraksh, Kalpvriksh, Kunj, Harsingar, Belpatra (tree and scriper) are planted here. Saffron plantation is also seen here. The main attraction of this temple is the idols of various gods installed around, inside and top of the temple. This temple can be considered as the monument of the modern century which provides the feelings of National Integration and Harmony.